Campaigning to curb supermarket power

Securing appropriate planning contributions

In order to properly reduce the effects of its development, a supermarket should offer (and the Council should require) a list of planning contributions as part of what is known as a ‘Section 106 agreement’. This could include providing or offering money towards, for example, improving links to the town centre, pedestrian crossings and general road safety measures or improved bus services.

There are three tests that a planning contribution must pass to make it acceptable. It must be:

How does my Council make a decision about a supermarket?

The local authority must consider all the relevant issues (see below) and come to a decision about whether to approve the supermarket planning application. The application will initially be considered by paid planning officers working for the council who will be qualified and experienced planners. They should put together a report on the application based on an assessment of the supporting documents submitted, a comparison with local regional and national planning documents, and a summary of submissions received from third parties (including your objection).

I've heard a rumour that a new supermarket will open in my area. How can I found out if this is true?

Contact the Council

The first thing to do is to contact the Council. They are the most likely to have the information you are looking for, and most likely to be happy to give it to you. You can find the planning department of your Council by looking at its website or phoning its switchboard.

Where can I find examples of campaigning materials?

If you are producing written and visual materials for your campaign, or objecting to a planning application in writing, you may find it useful to refer to campaign materials from other campaigns in the local campaigns section. Below is a selection.

Posters and flyers

Some campaigns have found it useful to produce posters and flyers to get across their message to the community. Posters can be displayed for example in shop windows. See materials produced by campaigners in the following campaigns:

Who can help me?

This section contains links to further resources and sources of information and support.

Planning Aid provides free, independent and professional advice and support on planning issues to people and communities who cannot afford to hire a planning consultant. Planning Aid complements the work of local authorities but is wholly independent of them.


Subscribe to Tescopoly RSS